Please note that certain aspects of our approach are currently undergoing further development. Details provided below will be updated and additional content added accordingly.
The Academy takes a holistic and individualised approach to the personal development of our students. Our aim is to develop happy young people with high levels of self-worth who are prepared for success in the 21st century. We place equal importance on the academic and pastoral aspects of their development, including students’ emotional, moral and social wellbeing.
We deliver broad and rich academic content which fulfils the requirements of the National Curriculum. Students engage with curriculum content through experiential learning experiences and problem-based challenges; this approach equips students with the ability to draw on their knowledge in a single discipline, and apply it to new contexts spanning a range of disciplines.
As they progress toward the mastery of academic content, students’ personal development will be developed and enhanced through, but not limited to, the following:
- The Wellness Curriculum – spiritual, intellectual, social, interpersonal and environmental wellness (fulfilling the requirements of the RSHE, Citizenship & British Values National Curriculum Programmes of Study, as well as the Religious Education non-statutory guidance).
- Anti-bullying weeks.
- Extra-curricular activities.
- Livingstone Points.
- Inter-house competitions and matches etc.
- National Days,
- Engaging, inclusive and responsive assembly programme.
- TIP time (Thought for the Day, Information, Portfolio) sessions with tutors.
Monitoring and Goal-setting
As students progress through the academic and Wellness curriculum, we track their academic and personal development in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- Academic benchmarking.
- Formative and summative assessment.
- Formative feedback.
- Individual goal-setting.
Whilst we monitor all aspects of student progression and development, we teach students to take responsibility for their learning through regular goal-setting and self-reflection as part of their Personalised Success Plans. Our teachers work with students to help them set and progress toward termly goals across our deeper learning competency areas. Livingstone’s deeper learning competency areas are mapped to the Aspirations Academy Values, Skills and Mindsets as well as our Academy Vision. Detailed information about Livingstone’s deeper learning competencies is currently in development and will be published in due course.
The development of our approach to individual student development is ongoing. As such, this document will continue to be updated accordingly. Once the Academy is open, our approach, systems and procedures will be monitored and reviewed on a regular basis. This will be achieved by:
- Regular review of student progress at staff meetings, including the sharing of classroom work and best practice.
- Regular review of student development systems and procedures, including the sharing of classroom work and best practice.